(January 23, 2023) In Who Give and Who Gets: The Beneficiaries of Private Foundation Philanthropy, The Charity Report looks at the recipients of private foundation giving.
The Top 20 Private Foundations cumulatively donated approximately $1.63
billion between 2014/2015 and 2018/2019, as applicable. About two thirds of the money was given to charities inside Canada and one third to charities outside Canada.
The Top 3 donations recipients in the 5-year timeframe we studied were:
- Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, who received $88.7 million; The
- University of Toronto, which received $58.6 million; and the Heseg Foundation, which received $45.3 million, and whose mission is to support“lone soldiers” who fight for the Israeli Defense Force (IDF). A lone soldier is defined as someone who comes from another country to join the IDL. The CRA categories them as an education charity.
- The average donation made by the Top 20 is $701,771.
- The median donation made by the Top 20 is $200,000.
Each of the Top 20 private foundations give to an average of 23 donees per
year. Ninety-five per cent of donations go to the following types of organizations:
- Charitable Organizations (48%)
- Public Foundations (19.5 %)
- Universities in the US (10.8 %)
- Universities outside North America and the UK (9%)
- Organizations Outside of Canada (7.5 %)